Monday, July 2, 2012

Some Good Stuff

This past Saturday after church, a group of wanna-be, could-be, possibly, photographers headed out to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park to take pictures with some of the best photographers we know. Led by Mark Watanabe, we trooped around on trails, snapping pictures, learning more about light, fiddling with tripods, and laughing at each other as we walked through the jungle. It was lots of fun, but I always find it hard to take pictures while surrounded by other photographers. Maybe it was the fact that I had professionals around me, or that it was a forced time to take pictures— I don't know. But it sure was difficult to snap some decent shots. Fortunately, I came out with three I really, really liked. 

This first one is by far one of my most favorite pictures I have taken in my career as a photographer hopeful. On the left side, washed out and pale is the actual fern. The darker fern commanding the majority of the frame, is actually the shadow of the upright fern on the left. I edited it to give it all a pale green look, which I think makes it even more dramatic. I.LOVE.This.PICTURE. What do you think?


This fallen log caught my attention because of its two toned bark. It must have been bleached in the sun or by  some growth that used to be there perhaps. Either way, turning the entire picture into black and white emphasized even more the difference in colors and textures, making it quite a dramatic tease.


A simple weed really, this little piece of fluff was blowing all over the place. The sun was on it's way to the horizon, so without much light left but a strong sky, I snapped several of these, to ensure I got one which was in focus. Definitely worth it.





No comments:

Post a Comment