Friday, May 25, 2012

Two Days and the Trials of Technology

Oh, the trials of technology today-- specifically the world wide web. I've always had bad internet at my house, but this has done it. Because my dad is the resident I.T. support at my casa (Spanish for "house"), when he leaves, we are thrown into an uproar. The morning he left for a two day trip to the other side of the island to conduct some dive tours (Wednesday), our internet blinked off. As the next in line computer-guru (not) I desperately attempted to restore ANY signal so that Kerri and I could blog about our day's adventures. But, alas, it was not to be. Hence the reason we have both been silent for two days. We have finally gotten around to hitting up Starbucks for a bagel and some WiFi, and it feels great!

So, to start with Wednesday. I took Kerri to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It was an overcast, rainy day, so we really got to enjoy the rain as we walked through the lava tube (referred to as "tava lube" by Kerri) and hiked along a short trail. We visited the Visitors' Center and all kinds of places, but I did not have my camera with me. Well, I had my camera, but I had left the SD card in my computer from my last blog. *sigh*

Yesterday, after dropping my mom off from work, we headed up to Waipio Valley. It's an hour and half-ish drive from town, and lucky for us, it was sunny and bright! As we were travelling through the last 6 or 7 miles, we realized we were racing the clouds. By the time we got to the Waipio Valley lookout, sure enough, it was overcast. Bummer. We took some pictures and then headed down the steep 250 meter (which according to Google is is about 820 feet) walk to the bottom. It took us about 45 minutes, and it was gorgeous!

The ridiculously steep road! Known as the steepest road of it's length in the world.

Beautiful Waipio Valley

At the bottom, we took some pictures, picked up a friend who we named Buddy, and then proceeded to take some photos of the wild horses. While we were enjoying them from afar, some lady brought out a bag of Sun Chips, walked right up to them, and started feeding them! Soon, we were all surrounded by three sets of moms and their foals, all wanting attention and food. Great. A guy offered to give us a ride back up the mountain if he saw us, and so we said our goodbyes and backed out of there asap. We looked back a couple of times only to see some other people giving the horses beer... we left in a hurry.

"Buddy" our tag-a-long while we walked the beach. 



This rock has definitely been there a while, it had algae as long as hair!

After our deadly hike up, (our friends from the bottom failed to show up), we collapsed in the car, blasted the A/C, and enjoyed a lunch of cold pizza and burritos. So good! After eating, we drove into Honoka'a and bought basically the best fudge in the world. It was delicious! Our drive home was uneventful and my back, legs, thighs, calves, ankles, and even feet are thanking me for the wonderful journey. Yay.



No comments:

Post a Comment