Thursday, October 3, 2013

I Get Laughed at for More Than Just My Spanish

A few days ago a couple of my friends and I went up to the roof of the girls' dorm to workout. When we got up there I was greeted by rows of laundry drying in the deliciously warm sun. While mis amigas were setting up the workout video on a laptop, I snapped some shots of these photogenic clothes as they laughed and laughed at me for doing so. Why is laundry drying on the roof anyway?


Because my dear readers, laundry here is an ALL DAY event. There is one laundry room with about 10 washing machine and 10 dryers. This is for all dorm dwellers on campus to use. It is open for very specific hours of the day and once closed, it is closed. If your wet clothes didn't make it to a dryer, you find another way to dry your clothes. When I did my laundry on Tuesday, I luckily did not have to wait for a washing machine, but did have to wait over two hours for a dryer. I actually didn't even get to put my clothes in myself, my friend had to for me while I went to class. All this time spent on waiting provides a great opportunity to do homework or talk to people. Both girls and guys use the room, making it a sweet hang out spot. There are usually at least 15 to 25 people in there at a time. A small downside however is that, just like when entering all other buildings on campus, girls are required to wear shorts that reach the knees or longer pants. This is not a flexible rule. They will make you go change. To end on a positive note; even though I only get to wash clothes once a week, I don't have to pay for the machines or the soap! It's a win-lose, but I've got enough free time for it anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my post "Letters from the Lavadero" haha...
    the first week, I dried all my clothes on the roof too! It works great, but that was the only time I did it. Besides, once it gets really humid, it's kind of counterproductive! By the way, I always did my Grammar homework in the lavadero and asked Sylvia, the laundry lady that works there for help. She's nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like somebody got impatient and threw clothes off the line to put up their own... Must've run out of LONG SHORTS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't actually dry MY clothes up there, my friend did. I managed to get my stuff into a dryer and done fast enough before they closed. Thanks for the tip Rikita!

    ReplyDelete