Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Privilege of Home

Growing up while travelling around the United States and the world got the travel bug firmly flowing through my veins. We have lived all over, making friends along the way, and sticking together as a team. I have come to love all kinds of places on the mainland, in England, Cyprus, Mexico-- everywhere. But there comes a time when the travelling needs a break, and when growing up must begin.

Once my brother and I started school, our family settled down in Hawaii to allow us to stay at one school, and make some long-lasting friends. We came almost on accident, and, being only seven years old, I didn't quite realize that I would be growing up in Hawaii. I didn't realize a coveted vacation spot would be my backyard. I didn't realize that God wanted me here for a reason. And I sure didn't realize how easy it would be to take my home for granted.

I have been lucky enough to go to schools on the mainland for the past two years. In those two years I have begun to understand how crazy it is that I live in Hawaii. When I am meeting people for the first time, one of the standard questions is "Where are you from?" As soon as I answer that one, people are twice as interested in me. Besides rattling off the stereotypical questions, (Do you live in a shack? Do you surf everyday? Do you eat pineapple all the time?), the general excitement lasts only for a little while. Then, until reminded of my home, I become just like everybody else. Luckily, I really am.

I am like everybody else because I like to hang out with my friends and read. Food is great, but I try to be healthy. My bed is my best friend, and my dog is my cuddle buddy. I am just another kid, growing up, just in a different location than a lot of my friends are used to thinking of as a place to live. Yeah, it's different than say, Colorado, but all the same things occur here. Making friends and losing them, petty fights, birthday parties, sleepovers, hitting up the movie theater, and dinner at Pizza Hut. These are the things that make a place your home.

Getting to go home for Christmas break has its perks, like no snow, a little sunshine, and definitely some trips to the beach while all my friends are back home splitting logs. But what people don't realize is that Hawaii is just another place to me. Because I live here, I don't always remember how privileged I am to call it home. But when I step off that plane at the end of the school year, into soupy air and the smell of salt and green things, I remember just how blessed I am, and I am grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment