Thursday, September 19, 2013

Catch-up Time: Days 1 and some of 2

(Disclaimer: This post was taken from emails and facebook messages I wrote to people yesterday, plus a little extra added on my own. Sorry if you are one of the people who read it before. Everyone else, enjoy. )

1. So far so good! I've been talking to people in broken Spanish and making friends other than ACA kids. It takes SO MUCH concentration to speak and communicate in Spanish. I really don't know that much, so I'll get part of a sentence, or words, but can't always put together what people are saying. Then, I struggle with putting my own sentence together. I can't WAIT for classes to start because I'll be learning how to better structure my sentences and vocab. I'm dying to get to learning.

2. Each evening I've been digging through my dictionary and going over words I heard during the day and remembered to write down. Slowly but surely I WILL expand my vocabulary. Also, my dear Rikita left one of her Spanish books behind, so I've been studying that too. I think it's going to be really helpful. Fun fact, I have the same roommates as my friend Rikita had when she was here last year!

3. I didn't miss any tests. I didn't miss much of anything actually. Just a tour of the town, which some ACA kids gave Becca and me (the other girl who was late).

4. I'm living in one of three girls' dorms (I think). I have two roommates who I really like! They are both super duper sweet and helpful. One of them is also an RA, so that's a plus.

5. Yesterday I was exploring with my friend Lauren, the girl who I met at Union from Oakwood, and we met this sweet lady, Nadia, at one of the little stores in town. She can speak some English, and we told her we would come back and visit. She works in the morning. So now I've got a couple on non ACA friends.

6. Also, stuff here is really low quality, but cute too. I'm glad I'm on a budget. So far I am controlling myself really well, though I desperately, DESPERATELY wish I'd bought boots before I came. Why on earth was it 50 degrees yesterday!!?? My everyday shoes from camp now have a hole in them, so when those fall apart, I'll only have my running shoes left (besides sandels) . . . which are bright green. Struggle.

7. I have to take my own toilet paper with me to the bathroom and then bring it back with me to the room. I can't flush the toilet paper, it goes in a trash can beside the toilet.

8. Today I got my results back for the Spanish placement test that all ACA students had to take. There were three levels: Intermediate, Advanced 1, and Advanced 2. Today we got our scores and placements back and I'm in Advanced 1! This is exciting. Either I know more than I think I do, or I'm really good at faking it. Either way, I will be learning a lot in the next year.

So, there's a brief summary of yesterday and today.

I'm not homesick or anything at all (sorry mom and dad). I just kind of feel suspended in place. It's weird.

Yo, I live in South America. What in the world?!

6 comments:

  1. ELENA!!!
    I am so glad you found that Spanish book, that was my textbook from WWU, and I kind of felt bad leaving it behind, but I couldn't add more weight to my bags! Glad it's in good hands.
    Also, I'm glad you like the roommates, they are just the best.

    Oh man, I KNEW I was forgetting to tell you to bring something - boots and rainboots are what I wished I brought too!! :( It rain's like crazy there when it does...sorry! Maybe you'll have luck in finding some to buy, I never really looked :/

    Congrats on Adv. 1! And I hope you get to start classes sooner than we did! Once they start, Spanish just gets engraved in your head fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, your roomies gave it to me. Not gonna lie, seeing your handwriting MAKES MY DAY every time I open it.

      Vernee also warned me about the rain but I thought it would be ok. I guess I'll have to find out the hard way! I mean, you survived just fine without them so I think I can too. :P We'll see what happens!

      I can't waaaaiiiiit for classsessss!

      Delete
  2. I'll bet my hand-me-down ankle boots (offer declined) would have been useful about now, eh?! AND they were a half-size big on me, so perfect fit 4U! Now I'm sorry I didn't make you try them on, even if they're black leather, not brown :(

    A pair of cheap Wellies (plastic boots) should do the job in the rain.

    Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knnoooow, you are wise o Aunty Ani! I will heed your warnings (and Vernee's) next time.

      Delete
  3. Remember if you need something have a friend send it in a Union box =).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taleah. I told them all that they better be sending me stuff! Haha, some deodorant, some hot sauce, some socks, and letters. Maybe some shoes!

      Delete