Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Origins of this blog and other things

For those of you who have only recently begun reading my blog, refer back to the original post as to why this blog is named "The Veggie Loco Moco."


Last night I listened to music for the first time since arriving here. I'd almost forgotten about it because I've been so busy being busy. I'm not really humming anything in particular right now, but it has been nice to catch myself making up a tune once in a while again. That is the signal of me feeling a little more comfortable in a world that I can barely understand.

I've finally caught the lack-of-sleep, jet-lag, different-climate but that has been going around lately. I thought I would escape from it unscathed, but it has attacked with full force and won. Even though my roommate thought I was crying the other night as I attempted to stifle the waterfalls from my nariz, I have conquered, and the cold is leaving.Yesterday, I invested in a little mug and some mint tea at the supermarket next to our campus. I've already put it to use multiple times and it has already paid for its 22 peso self. It really is the simple things in life that we treasure.

Another "simple" thing that I treasure so much I decided to construct from scratch. A day planner. I came to Argentina without one, intending to purchase one here so I could practice my Spanish. But alas, upon going to the closest thing to a stationary store here, I only found January-December calendars for 2014. So, a blank notebook and some markers later, I now have myself a planner. I'm actually quite proud of it. I counted all the lines so it would be evenly spaced, kept my colors consistent, and all the lines are straight. I definitely needed a little bit of a craft outlet anyway, and this has proven to be quite the stress-reliever. I've only made it up until November, so it will be an ongoing project.

Sitting in class yesterday I realized how many little things about being here in Argentina would be really useful for new students to know, just as a heads up. So, I've started carrying around a little notebook with me. It's becoming a journal of sorts, where I write down whatever I want throughout the day; whether it is random lyrics to a song or new words or advice or quotes. At the end of the year, I can compile all the bits that apply to new students, and voilĂ , Elena's Handbook for the ACA Student-Argentina version.

Also, I got my free Spanish bible today! It's purple, hardcover, and in Spanish. Aka, it's beautiful and I love it and it was free.

I know you want pictures, they are coming! Eventually.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are carrying a little notebook around and doing that for future students, haha. If I did that, it would probably have helped you more! I did actually start out with one, and then it became life so it was harder for me to!
    I hope you feel better soon!! The tea from the comedor is good too :)
    How did you get a free Spanish Bible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you'd kept up with it! I can see myself not doing it after a while, but I've started writing down part of my devotional in it so I can remember it throughout the day. Which I LOVE doing. It's really helpful.

      The first couple days we were here, during our meetings, they told us if we wanted a Spanish Bible we could sign up for one on a little paper outside of the door. So I did! It was only outside for that day, and apparently some people didn't hear because when they told us to pick them up, a lot of people were so confused. It's a very pretty Bible too--it's purple! I'll take a picture later.

      Delete