Friday, September 20, 2013

Feliz Sabado!

To start off with, I'd like to alert you to the fact that I haven't switched my keyboard to Spanish letters yet, and I also haven't memorized the key strokes to type accents on my letters. So I'm sorry if "feliz sabado" is missing an accent mark. That's just how it is for now.

Today we had only one meeting in the morning. We went over which classes we were put into and got our horarios (schedules) for this quarter. I'll be taking 17 credits which, I know sounds like a lot. BUT I'll probably end up dropping one, making it only 15 credits. See? Not that bad at all!

After the meeting we grabbed lunch and then went to get some ice cream. Finally I went to the famous Grido's, and it did not disappoint. It was cool and deliciously creamy, perfect for the heat of the day. Other than that, it tasted just like ice cream.

On that note, I feel a responsibility to tell the world that the food here is not that bad at all. I can too easily see myself gaining weight. You think I'm kidding? I'm not. Granted this is only the first week and I haven't had to deal with the same food over and over. Still, what I have had so far I have found pretty flavorful and filling. Actually, I think I may have gained some weight already, but let's keep that on the down low. We'll just chalk it up to travelling stress and jet lag adjustments.

Vespers was good. I got the gist of what the man was saying. The church itself is beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. Their videography for the service was perfect, and color balance and transition effects and organization were all impressive. There must have been a couple hundred students in there for the service, called "Break," giving quite a good turnout for a university that serves 2,500-3,000 students.

Church is at 9:30 tomorrow morning, followed by Sabbath school at 11. Side note: thank goodness I like military time and have been using it for many years on my watch and phone. That is how they tell time here. Now to truly learn the metric system . . .

This is enough, my bed is calling me.


I discovered that not only is "Ariel" a male name in Spanish, it is also a detergent.

I did not purchase one of these buttons. However, I did purchase a smiley face one. The prices are pesos by the way, not USD dollars. I got my money exchanged for about nine pesos to one dollar, so you can see those buttons are super duper cheap.

Buenas noches.

4 comments:

  1. You're going to do great! 17 credits will also probably leave you lots of free time :)

    Glad you've gotten to experience the famous Gridos! It's delicious. You'll have to try ice cream from Samar's - pay a little more for homemade ice cream! SO GOOD.
    Also, BEST Peruvian food - Peruanos... ask someone, they'll know. I wish I could have some right now!!

    The church IS beautiful, the outside reminds me of Walla Walla's. I remember always taking my dictionary with me to the services... haha, I also bought a Spanish bible, which was nice!

    Always so nice to read your posts, like I said, probably expect comments on all of them ;)

    Feliz Sabado! (I also don't have my keyboard to Spanish... honestly, I always copy and pasted the accented letters... jaja!)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Peruanos, but have yet to try it.

      My Spanish dictionary is so large though! It's the one we got from Mrs. Bovee. I might begin to take it with me, we'll see. Did you have a mini dictionary you had as well?

      Comments make me feel like I still have friends in the states, haha.

      Delete
  2. Samar's trumps Gridos any day of the week. Get Crema Samar's it will change your life. Also, take 17 credit hours and make sure they are all intermediate classes and above. None of this beginner business. You need a Spanish double major. Seventeen credit hours in Argentina is super easy. Don't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am!! I've finally gotten to have Samar's as well, and my goodness is it GOOD. I'm taking a couple of intermediate classes, only because they are the only ones available. But the majority of my classes are upper division. :D

      Delete