Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I Have Arrived!

I wanted to write a nice, long, detailed blog post about how I finally made it to the UAP tonight. But, time is ticking and I'm exhausted. So, I'll just give you a few words I learned today and a quick summary.

  • carpincho: capybara
  • almohada: pillow
  • vale: coupon or voucher
  • the word "pieza" is used instead of "cuarto" in Argentina for the palabra (word) "room"


What I saw and wished I could have photographed:
  • Pink flamingos on the Paranรก Delta
  • A horse wearing blinders pulling a cart with a man straight out of National Geographic. On the street. With the cars.
  • Flat, Nebraska-like land. I hardly feel like I've left!
  • Lots and lots of garbage everywhere. 
  • Ditto for perros (dogs). Everywhere.
Upon landing in Buenos Aires I made my way to the immigration line and found another girl who had also encountered the same problem as me. We found our bags together after and made our way to the bus that had been arranged for us by the ACA people. It was a six hour ride to the city of Rosario, third largest city in the country, then a two hour drive with the director of the ACA program to the UAP. Though we were exhausted and feeling a bit sick, and almost completely at a loss for what people were saying, the kindness of this place kept us positive. 

Though my Spanish has deteriorated greatly since my last year in high school, I was able to form a sentence here and there and understand a little of what was going on. It gives me hope that maybe, just maybe when I take my placement test tomorrow, I can get into Advanced 1 instead of Intermediate. We'll see. Right now though, it is time for bed. Buenas noches!


3 comments: